"The Tenor is Up"

Captain of the Tower
Tower Secretary



Sussex County Association of Change Ringers

St. Mary's Church
Petworth

Church Bells

The church has a peal of eight bells, tuned to a diatonic scale in the key of E. The heaviest, or tenor, bell weighs 18cwt (900kg). The bells were cast in 1924 by Gillett & Johnson at the Croydon bell foundry, replacing an earlier peal cast in 1827 by Thomas Mears of Whitechapel, London.

The bells are rung for the main Sunday services, and on other special occasions and for the pleasure of ringing.

Change ringing developed in the early C18th and is peculiar to England and the ‘English speaking world’. The bells are hung in sturdy frames with the bells able to swing through 360 degrees, from mouth up to mouth up position, enabling the precision of striking control required for this way of ringing.

Change ringing is very much a team activity that is stimulating to the mind and also mildly demanding physically whilst making a beautiful sound, plus there is the companionable nature of ringers; interdependence creates a tremendous fellowship. Visitors to a change ringing session will invariably be asked to join in if they are ringers and of course, all ringing sessions include time for socialising.

We practice regularly on Thursday evenings from 7.30 to 9.00 p.m. and would be very pleased to welcome new members, so do feel free to come and meet us and if interested in learning, training can be given. Please contact the Captain of the Tower or Tower Secretary if you are interested.


Home Page
The Building
Services
Finances
Music
Church Bells
Events
Past Events
Regular Activities
Calendar
Parish Magazine
Organisation
Charities
Friends of St.Mary's
Contact Details
External Links
Site Map